Thursday 6 June 2024

Linux Shows What Computing Really Is: Jhenisson’s Journey

Linux Shows What Computing Really Is: Jhenisson’s Journey

In the field of Information Technology, every professional has a unique journey that shapes their expertise and career path. In this blog posting, we meet Jhenisson Brito, an LPI-certified professional from Brazil. His story unveils the challenges, motivations, and pivotal moments that steered him towards Linux and other free and open source (FOSS) technologies. From his initial encounters with Linux to his current role as a network analyst for a major Brazilian bank, his narrative offers valuable insights and inspiration for anyone interested in or currently navigating the IT landscape.

How did you first encounter Linux and open source software, and what sparked your interest in them?

My first contact with Linux, if I remember correctly… It was around 2016 with Ubuntu, when I entered university. At the time I was 17 years old. My interest was driven by comments from colleagues that for working with networks, Linux offered more tools and was cleaner than Windows, for example.

What role did computers play in your life when you were growing up, and did you have any exposure to Linux or other advanced tools at the time?

My contact with computers in childhood was almost entirely focused on the gaming world. Due to financial constraints, I felt compelled to learn more about computers to solve any problems my machine had, so I could play more.

What did you think of your formal education in school, and did it help prepare you for what you are doing at work now?

I am fully convinced that my formal education didn’t help much in my career. Brazilian public education teaches in an inadequate way. I have strong criticisms on this topic.

What inspired you to pursue a career in technology, and how did you get started in the field?

I received a 100% scholarship for the Computer Networks course when I was 17 years old, and due to financial difficulties at home, I dedicated myself intensively to IT to get a job in the following months, which happened quickly.

What do you do in your current position, and what are the major tools you work with?

I work as a network and data communication analyst for a traditional Brazilian bank with offices in all states of the country. My main task involves troubleshooting, using the SSH protocol for access to thousands of assets. My distinctive skill is an advanced knowledge of network administration and operating systems, which I employ to guide the development of scripts that can automate the tasks of the entire team and optimize services that I would find tedious.

Why did you decide to pursue an LPI certification, and how has it helped you in your career?

My LPIC certification was a requirement from my current company. Among CCNA and HCIA, I chose LPI because I have a greater affinity with the operating systems, and I was right in my choice, as the Linux path shows me what computing really is.

How did you prepare for the LPI certification exam, and what advice would you offer to others considering certification?

Study hard and learn for real. The knowledge tested in the exams is extremely useful for specialized careers in the technology field.

How do you think the rise of cloud computing and containerization is affecting the use of Linux and open source software, and how are you adapting to these changes?

This is a great and relevant question. Linux (LPI) is being widely required in job positions involving cloud and containers, such as Docker for example. I have worked in companies that have their own small data centers, and all of them are planning to migrate to the cloud. The cloud is the present and the future. Professionals who understand the concepts of open-source software and operating systems like Linux are highly sought after by companies. Indeed, this is one of the main reasons why I am on the Linux track.

Can you discuss any collaborations or partnerships you have been involved in within the open source community, and what you learned from them?

Currently, I am very active and consume a lot of content related to PowerShell. Many of my scripts use methods from other scripters to accomplish the goals. It’s a constant struggle to find information, and when things get tough, we turn to AI to clear up doubts about concepts that we can’t easily find in forums. I was very happy when I started studying Linux and realized that many of the shell commands are in PowerShell, and that we can install PS on Linux. This really makes my life a lot easier.

How do you think open source software can be used to promote diversity and inclusion in the tech industry, and have you been involved in any related initiatives?

I believe so, and I would certainly be happy to know that Brazilian schools teach Linux, although I think it’s a distant reality given the political scenario of our country. If it weren’t for the language barrier, Brazil would export many professionals to the whole world, as our professionals here have a lot of potential.

Can you talk about a specific project or accomplishment that you are particularly proud of, and how did you achieve it?

I feel good when I develop a script that helps my colleagues; They always praise me, although I don’t like receiving compliments. In my opinion, technology should optimize our time so we can make the most of our lives.

How do you stay up to date with the latest advancements in technology, and what resources do you rely on?

I enjoy following topics and people of interest on LinkedIn.

How do you approach problem-solving when working on a project or task, and what strategies do you find most effective?

The first step is to understand the problem and, with that insight, address the issues in the best possible way, with the most useful information and necessary support, always seeking improvement to achieve excellence.

Can you describe a time when you faced a difficult technical challenge, and how did you overcome it?

Years ago, I was asked to log into 300 computers to change the administrator user password in a company due to the dismissal of an IT colleague. I did it one by one, as requested, and lost sleep without getting paid extra for it. Weeks later they fired another person and asked me to do it again. I refused to do it manually. So I opened my browser and started researching a way to do it automatically. I discovered the WinRM protocol and developed my first shell script that imported the 300 computers from a list and changed the password. That’s where it all started.

What do you think are the most important qualities for success in a tech career, and how do you cultivate those qualities in yourself?

Curiosity. A curious person does not get bored when learning something new that they find interesting. The other would be creativity. But I believe these two qualities were born in me, so I don’t know how someone can develop them on their own.

What do nerds do when they are not nerding?

Here in Brazil, we watch football, hah 🙂

Source: lpi.org

Related Posts

0 comments:

Post a Comment